I’ve heard many people say, “I’d get my baby’s portraits done, if it wasn’t so expensive.” On one hand, I understand that professional newborn photos are expensive, but on the other, I believe that it is a worthwhile investment. In fact, I believe that every new parent should be able to have their newborn’s portraits taken. Those first few days of baby’s life are so short-lived. Even though the happy, new parents stare for hours at their new precious bundle – taking every small detail in – let’s face it: memory fails and the further we get from that memory, the less clear it becomes. That new bundle of joy, complete with his or her wrinkles and flaky skin, changes so very quickly. Soon, it’s hard to imagine that your baby was ever that tiny. In my opinion, newborn portraits are so essential because they capture a very important moment in our lives, one that we can’t get back (short of having more children!). There’s no doubt that it can be expensive, but the investment is one that only increases in value as the years and decades go by. When I’m an old man and looking at my son’s newborn photos, I know that I will only cherish them more THEN! It’s really hard to put a value on such an investment.
While it is expensive, I have to remind my clients how frivolously many of us spend our money on equally expensive items. Take for example my 50″ plasma television. New, it cost me over $1,200. I know that it’s lifespan is about 5 to 7 years. By that time, technology will change and my television will become obsolete, making way for the newest, baddest-ass chunk of viewing pleasure! I can’t even call that an investment, because the value of that purchase decreases the moment I take it off of the sales floor. I get home, set it up, turn it on and a commercial comes on trying to sell me on the new 3D televisions! Dangit! Compare that to newborn photographs. My clients make a similar investment in their portraits, but if they’re taken care of right (actually printed instead of sitting on a hard drive) those photographs will be around in their cedar chest for decades down the road. When they look at them years from now (and every year in between), I know they will not say, “These photos are obsolete.” I know that they may shed a tear over how those photos make them feel because of the flood of emotions that photo will call back into memory. They may even share them with their grown child and be able to laugh about little things they remember from that time. Such a purchase continues to increase as the child has children and Dad becomes Grandad.
Still, I’m sensitive to the financial needs of my clients. Having babies is an expensive endeavor. Luckily, most of us have family and friends who LOVE babies and go out of their way to help us make many of the purchases, which – ALONE – would be a costly burden. This is precisely why I launched our “Newborn Photography Registry“.
Newborn Photography Registry
The registry is a complimentary service we provide to couples and expectant parents who have booked their newborn session with us. It allows them to invite their family and friends to purchase gift certificates that can be used towards fulfilling their portrait session costs and/or purchasing additional photographic products through us. In so doing, family and friends make an investment rather than a purchase. They get the satisfaction of knowing they contributed to the preservation of lasting memories that will increase in value as the years go by. Long after the new baby outgrows her onesies, long after she’s out of diapers, stops playing with her baby toys and the crib is dismantled to make way for a full-size bed, portraits still touch my clients’ lives.
Our very first registry client had practically their entire session paid for in just two days. They were so excited to receive all of their gift certificates and touched that their family and friends help make something so wonderful – financially available.
How it Works:
- Once the session is booked, we provide all the information our clients and their families need to know. We create a dedicated page on our website for the family to come and easily purchase session gift certificates and photography products for their new little bundle.
- Once your dedicated webpage is set up on our site, we will email you the link to share with your family and friends.
- Those that you invite can visit the page and purchase session gift certificates in $25 increments, payable via PayPal or by credit card, which will be used to pay for the remaining balance of the session.
- The purchaser will be sent a gift certificate to present to the expectant parents at their baby shower, or, if time is short, the purchaser can choose to have us send them to the parents directly.
- After payment is processed, the gift certificates will be mailed in about one week.
- Gift certificates are double-sided 5″x5″ cards printed on premium press papers and die-cut into a stylish luxe shape. This elegant card is placed in an envelope, which is adorned with one of our studio’s stylish stickers.
- Once the session is paid for, we will close contributions towards the session.
- Invitees can also purchase gift certificates for additional photography products like albums, custom designed baby announcements and canvas gallery wraps as an extra special gift. Once the session is complete and the final images selected, we will order these products and deliver them to the new parents.
- We track our client’s progress with a handy gauge for one-glance info on how many contributions have been made.
Here are some example images from the registry:
The contributions “gauge” allows for one-glance info on where my clients stand
Gift Certificate Example (front) – printed as 5×5″ ornate card
Gift Certificate Example (back)
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
When you want to capture a special milestone in your life, remember Eternal Forms Photography! We want to help you preserve your memories for a lifetime!
Eternal Forms Photography serves the Round Rock and greater Austin area as well as Southeast Texas (with scheduling well in advance). We offer competitive rates on professional quality portrait photography of all types, and we specialize in newborn and children portraiture!
We are happy to introduce our brand new “Newborn Photography Registry” – a complimentary service offered to newborn portrait clients who want to allow family and friends to contribute towards their session and/or purchase photography products of their little bundle. Check out the registry!
Please visit our website at http://eternalformsphotography.com to view our portfolio and for contact and investment information.